I want to start the new year by eating a little healthier, and also after having days of left over turkey, I am ready to eat something else ! This is a vegetarian dish from Eating Well website. I love this because you just put everything in the crock pot and you are free to do other stuff, like knittting…..
I love the smell of the spices, it makes the house smells so good, but I guess some people might find the smell a little too overpowering. I really like the combination of the lentils and the chick peas, but I took the short cut and used the canned chick peas instead, it tastes just as good. For some reasons, I cannot find dried chick peas and the red lentils in the groceries. I don’t think they make any differences.
So here is my version of the stew, I noticed the display picture for the recipe is thicker, but I like this consistency just fine. I will definitely make this dish again in the future.
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 1/2 pounds kabocha squash, (see Note) or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Soak chickpeas in enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches for 6 hours or overnight. (Alternatively, use the quick-soak method: Place beans in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.) Drain when ready to use.
- Combine the soaked chickpeas, squash, carrots, onion, lentils, broth, tomato paste, ginger, cumin, salt, saffron and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Put on the lid and cook on low until the chickpeas are tender and the lentils have begun to break down, 5 to 6 1/2 hours.
- Stir in lime juice. Serve sprinkled with peanuts and cilantro.