Pig Pig’s Corner is one of my favorite sites for recipes, I guess it is because of the time differences, I always get her e-newsletter at night around bedtime,which is not really a good thing to read before I go to bed, sometimes I can literally hear my stomach growling from looking at the pictures.
Two nights ago I saw this recipe for Szechuan style spare ribs, and I could not stop thinking about it all day at work, especially when I was eating at my desk the left over from the night before. So on my way home, I stopped by the supermarket and got the ingredients to make the ribs I have been dreaming of.
I followed her recipe exactly except before I served my ribs, I put in a dash of dark vinegar just to spruce it up a little. I remembered all the Szechuan dishes I had, most of them do have a little bit of vinegar in it, some how it brings out the flavor.
I love how the potatoes turn out, instead of being mushy, the skin helped to retain the shape of the potatoes, I used the nugget ones, and they pretty well absorbed all the flavor of the sauce. We could not stop eating these little guys.
Here is the recipe taken from Pig Pig’s Corner, thank you Ann and the Wild Boar, please keep the wonderful recipes coming even though they make me very hungry at night!!
By Pig Pig’s Corner
Prep time: 15 mins
Marinade time: 30 mins-overnight
Cook time: 1 hr
- 550 g spare ribs – chopped into bite size pieces
- 300 g potatoes – washed and cut into small chunks [I left the skin on.]
- 1 block fried bean curd (fried tau kwa 炸豆干) – cut into cubes
- 1-inch ginger – sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- 2 stalks spring onion – sliced, whites and greens separated
- 2 star anise
- 3 dried chili – torn into pieces
- 1 tbs Szechuan peppercorn
- 1 tbs Chili bean paste (dou ban jiang 辣豆瓣醬)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Knorr chicken powder
- 1 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbs dark soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sugar
- Combine ribs and all ingredients for marinade in a mixing bowl. Leave to marinate for at least 30 mins.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pot, add ginger, garlic, white part of spring onions, star anise, dried chili and Szechuan peppercorn. Stir fry for a few mins until fragrant.
- Mix in chili bean paste, fry until fragrant.
- Add marinated pork ribs, stir to coat and stir-fry for a few mins.
- Mix in potatoes and water.
- Bring to boil then lower heat to simmer for 30 mins, covered.
- Remove lid, add fried bean curd and leave to simmer for further 20 mins or until sauce is thickened. It should be relatively dry.
- Season to taste and garnish with the green part of spring onions.