I never had imagined kale and black beans together and I was not even sure if I like the taste. I was in the mood to be challenged last night as I had one of those moments when I really did not know what to cook for dinner. The rain and chilliness on a June day really did not inspire me at all.
When I saw this recipe earlier this week, I thought it was a good time to cook kale as I saw plenty of this vegetable around last weekend. Wouldn’t you know as it always happen, the moment when I want something I usually cannot find it. They sold out once again at the store I normally go to, but I cannot imagine substituting it with anything else. Fortunately I did manage to find it in some obscure corner in another grocery store. But the selection was not as good.
It is one of those things in life that I have been learning–that you never know if you like something unless you try it. And I am glad that I tried this out. I was quite surprised that the flavor really go well together. The crunchiness of kale and the soft rich taste of avocado mixed together with the garlicy black beans. I was quite surprised how full I felt just after one burrito.
So here is the recipe from Cookie and Kate, I had one minor change : that was I used one cup of black beans, washed and drained, and sauted in 4 cloves of chopped garlic and seasoned lightly with salt. Make sure you adjust it to your own taste, some black beans are very bland.
- big squeeze fresh lime juice
- splash of olive oil
- pinch of cumin powder
- dash chili powder
- dash of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seeded and finely chopped fresh jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 medium leaves of kale, washed and dried, stems removed and roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small (8 inch) whole wheat tortilla
- 1/2 small avocado, pitted and sliced into strips lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to serve on the side (optional, not shown)
- In a bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, sea salt, jalapeño, cilantro and kale. Toss to mix well and set the bowl aside to marinate.
- Warm the beans and minced garlic with a couple of tablespoons of water. You can do this in your smallest sauce pan on the stove over medium-low heat (sauté the garlic in a drizzle of olive oil before adding the beans) or in a bowl in the microwave. Add little splashes of water as necessary. Use a fork to mash up the beans a little and add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Warm the tortilla in a skillet or in the microwave for a few seconds. Top the tortilla with the black bean mixture, sliced avocado, marinated kale (you may end up with more kale than will fit in your burrito, reserve the extra and serve it on the side). Top with red onion and feta. Roll up the burrito by first folding the tortilla over from the bottom to partially cover the beans and greens, then fold in the 2 sides; finish rolling and put the burrito seam side down on a plate. Slice in half, if desired, and serve with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt on the side if you’d like.